Public Relations Jobs in Alberta 2019 Apply for Intergovernmental Affairs Coordinator Position
Public Relations Jobs for Intergovernmental Affairs Coordinator Position
The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality.
To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Position Summary: for Public Relations Jobs in Alberta
The Intergovernmental Affairs Department at Rocky View County is responsible for a breadth of activities relating to Intergovernmental and Inter-organizational relationships. As part of the CAO’s office, the Department works closely with Council and internal stakeholders to ensure the interests of Rocky View County are represented throughout the region and province.
Reporting to the Manager of Intergovernmental Affairs, this intermediate level position is responsible for a wide range of duties related to fostering strong intergovernmental relationships. This position requires a high degree of professionalism, experience collaborating with a variety of disciplines, and the ability to manage multiple projects in addition to daily tasks. This role requires flexibility and adaptability to respond effectively to frequently changing priorities and needs.
Core Account-abilities: Public Relations Jobs in Alberta
• Assist in the development and maintenance of inter-municipal and inter-jurisdictional relationships with Provincial, Federal, and Indigenous governments, and the County’s many intermunicipal neighbours. This may include formal and informal means including but not limited to meetings, phone calls, event planning, and luncheons.
• Monitor and review legislative / regulatory changes and ensure they are conveyed to the appropriate County departments for review and information. Where applicable, participate in the interpretation of relevant Municipal or Provincial Policy and Regulations and the formulation of the County’s response to changes in legislation.
• Review and manage responses to Intergovernmental-related correspondence including determination of level of response and preparation of responses.
• Complete preparation of Intermunicipal Collaboration Frameworks (ICFs) with adjacent municipalities. Monitor the implementations of ICFs and maintain ICFs on an ongoing basis, including liaising with internal departments and intermunicipal counterparts, as required.
• Assist the Manager, Intergovernmental Affairs, with activities related to the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board, as needed. Could include participating on sub-committees, reviewing material, research and analysis as required to support the Manager.
• Coordinate Intermunicipal Committee Meetings by working with Intermunicipal counterparts to create the agenda, brief elected officials, and follow-up on actions items.
• Liaise and assist in the preparation, interpretation, and reviews of Intermunicipal Development Plans.
• Prepare and present reports to Council and its committees regarding municipal policy, both proposed and existing.
• Prepare and present reports, materials, and opinions as a representative of Rocky View to other government and non-government agencies and committees as required.
• Support internal departments in intergovernmental activities including responding to referrals from internal departments and government agencies, attending meetings, providing intergovernmental advice.
• Assist in the development and implementation of an Advocacy Plan for Rocky View County
• Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned as part of the intergovernmental affairs team.
Position Requirements: Public Relations Jobs in Alberta
Completion of Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (e.g., planning or public administration), along with 3-5 years progressively responsible and diversified experience in municipal environment or related field.
• Strong collaborative skills and the ability to build consensus between multiple groups.
• Flexibility to alternate between technical to philosophical government responsibilities as required in the task or project.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Work independently or as part of a team to seek out and synthesize information resources in a clear and concise fashion.
• Understand and apply Provincial and Municipal policies, legislation, processes, and procedures.
• Work collaboratively with and communicates effectively and positively with other team members, departments, and external municipal and provincial government personnel.
• Possess and exhibit strong skills in presentations to Council, community associations and government departments as required.
• Experience working with Indigenous groups would be an asset.
• General understanding of planning principles as they relate to regional and municipal planning would be as asset.
• Manage time effectively to juggle multiple deadlines and tasks, and is required to work within irregular and tight time frames.
• Make sound decisions by using rational and logical judgment that reflects an understanding of the consequences of decisions.
• Able to work under stressful work conditions and to think and react quickly and effectively to problems that may arise from time to time.
• Estimate personal level of knowledge and asks for clarification and guidance as necessary.
• Previous related experience particularly in a public sector environment is preferred.
• Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.